Sadly, this can take many forms, from a simple bump to the face and teeth to a serious injury that removes teeth and causes cuts to the face that may require stiches.

If the injury is on the minor side of the scale then treat with rest, ice, pain relief if necessary. 

If you have some at home then you can use arnica cream around the area which does help to control bruising.

Check the teeth to make sure that they are not wobbly or painful to touch and monitor this for 1 week.

If there are no changes, great!

Sometimes after a knock tooth can start to become sensitive or change colour.

This is down to the swelling that takes place inside the tooth and just like any vital tissue it can bruise which in a tooth causes discolouration along side the tooth laying down a darker reparative material (secondary dentine).

As with any trauma seek advice from your dentist even if it is for re-assurance.

f there is more significant injury again get advice, it maybe that you will need to been seen in a hospital setting but under normal circumstances your dentist should be able to help.

If a tooth has been loosened then avoid anything that might injure this further, soft diet, nothing to hot etc. if you have night guard or whitening trays that sort of thing wear it or them as it will help protect the teeth and keep them in the right position.

My tooth has been knocked out completely?

If a tooth has been knocked out then clean it with milk, or if not saliva and try and re-implant it yourself. Use a mirror and a bright light source, keep it in place with your fingers if possible, in the correct position and orientation. If you can’t do this then get to the hospital or to your emergency dental hub, (details of your area are on this site). They will help you further, store the tooth in milk in a sealed container if you can’t keep it in the side of your cheek.

Bleeding that requires stiches means call 111 or make your way to the A and E department. Above all get advice from your dentist.

Please note: If you have uncontrolled bleeding, have suffered trauma or you have dental swelling that is spreading and is compromising your breathing, swallowing or is causing your eye to close or and visual changes please contact 111 or 999 as this is a dental emergency. 


How to manage an adult tooth that has been knocked out


How to manage a broken tooth following trauma


©2020 by Dr Chloe Harrington-Taylor and Dr James Critchley

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now